The man abuses outdoor gear, so you don’t have to
Yakima Sky Box Pro 21
I got tired of wrapping up my camping gear in crappy tarps and strapping it to the car roof with NRS straps, so I went cargo box shopping. I was good until I looked at the price tags. After the sales guy revived me with smelling salts, I settled on the high volume Yakima, roomy enough to hold a pack of wild monkeys and my buddies stinky ski boots upright (neither they nor the monkeys are allowed inside the car… ever).
– The Pro models open from both sides – very important for short guys like me.
– It has a neat feature that makes it impossible to pull the key out unless it’s fully latched.
– It is super easy to get on and off your car once you set it up to fit your racks.
– ZERO wind noise on my car and it doesn’t interfere with the hatchback opening.
– The dern thing costs $670.
– If you’ve got an SUV, you will not be able to drive through a standard garage door opening with this one. Thule and Yakima both make lower volume models, which are lower profile.
– If you’re related to Herman Munster, your cross-country skis won’t fit, but up to 190cm will fit easily.
If you’ve got the cash, this is the roof top monster for you and your junk.